Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday's Finest

Has anybody ever read  Into The Wild? No matter the cliché, with recent developments in my life I though it was time to sit down one Sunday not too long ago and read the book in its entirety. I'd seen the movie, and how can anybody not love Emile Hirsch? There is always so much more in a book than a movie will ever be able to offer. I also think anything Jon Krakauer writes is worth reading. He does a great job in all of his books of finding amazing and relevant quotes from others to highlight his own writing.

I have mixed opinions on Chris McCandless's actions and question his rationality. However, Krakauer does a great job at examining the ideal that McCandless strove, lived, and ultimately died for in the Alaskan wilderness.

As I transition into my new normal up here in Alaska, I leave you with these, Sunday's Finest from Into the Wild.

"There was some books... One was Pilgrim's Progress, about a man that left his family, it didn't say why. I read considerable in it not and then. The statements was interesting, but tough." - Mark Twain The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

"I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which I found no outlet in our quite life." - Leo Tolstoy "Family Happiness" (A passage highlighted in one of the books found with Chris McCandless's remains).
"It may, after all, be the bad habit of creative talents to invest themselves in pathological extremes that yield remarkable insights but no durable way of life for those who cannot translate their psychic wounds into significant art or thought." - Theodore Rozark, In Search of the Miraculous

No comments:

Post a Comment