Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday's Finest

I normally try to post three of my favorite quips, quotes, and words I've read throughout the week. I stumbled upon this quote this week. I haven't read the book in which it's from, but have read other books by the author in high school such as Esperanza Rising. This piece really stood out to me throughout the week and I debated finding more, but I think it holds enough space to stand alone this week.

This week's Sunday's Finest:

"My mother says when I get older my dusty hair will settle and my blouse will learn to stay clean, but I have decided not to grow up tame like the others who lay their necks on the threshold waiting for the ball and chain.

In the movies there is always one with red red lips who is beautiful and cruel. She is the one who drives the men crazy and laughs them all away. Her power is her own. She will not give it away.

I have begun my own quiet war. Simple. Sure. I am one who leaves the table like a man, without putting back the chair or picking up the plate."
- Sandra Cisneros The House on Mango Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment