Thursday, December 1, 2016

30 Days of Reflection - December 1st 2016

I've been having a hard time writing lately. Nothing comes to mind, ever. So I found some prompts for the month and since it's the 1st of December I thought I would be the best time to start at the beginning of the month. I haven't been able to reflect on anything that's happened in the last long while of my life. It always feel

Today's reflection: What is one thing I could do this month to improve my spiritual walk?

I've been feeling really disconnected with myself for awhile now. I can't pinpoint a date, or a month, but looking back I know it started somewhere over the summer. I had a great summer. It was truly amazing, life changing, and beautiful. However I'm realizing that moving to Alaska has had it's pros and cons. While it's been amazing to be constantly surrounded by nature, immersed in tall trees, and always on the lookout for moose or bears (except bears are hibernating for winter currently). I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the United States right now, now where else at all.

But I've strayed from the path that originally brought me here.

I came to Alaska in effort to save money to go out of the country for a long period of time, to Nepal. To go away for at least six months or more then maybe spend some time in India again. I came to Alaska to work on myself, find my clear healthy mind, and strive to get my body into decent shape for all the mountains I've yet to climb. The trail that brought me to Alaska leads to that end goal, but I've taken a few detours off on side paths and barely visible game trails. They've led me to new people who have been strange and damaging, and to people bright and who's memories will shine through my lifetime in my memory. I've been led to small town bars and middle of no where saloons; all of which have been filled with overly copious amounts of freshly brewed or cheap cans of beer, and always whiskey by the end of the night. I would wake up and realize how far gone off my path I was, but the sun never slept. I was taking full advantage of my midnight sun in my Alaskan summer.

I've found myself at the tops of mountain valleys wallowing with mountain dall sheep for hours. In the middle of the woods with not even a chirp of a bird to echo over head. These were the moments when I could see the path I came in on not far off in the distance. The mountains gave me vantage point and the woods always lead me back to my original trail.

It's Alaskan winter now. My Alaskan winter now. I need to focus my mind, body, and soul on my original goals and walk firmly on the path that brought me here so I can walk out onto the trails that lead me home; to the next adventures in Nepal. I will be in Nepal by this time next year. I promise.

To achieve that I'm going to write it down every day. I'm going to take time for myself. Read, write, breathe, exercise, yoga, sleep, and do what I know needs to be done.

I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment